This dessert was served by Chef Christopher McLean to the Princess of Thailand for her birthday. This morning, Chef Christopher shared the coveted recipe with the viewers of New Mexico Style. Give the recipe a shot and let us know what you think!
1 medium to large pot
1 wooden spoon
Small (apples) and Large (bread if needed) Kitchen Knives
6 large ramekins or coffee cups
cookie sheet pan
casserole pan or other pan for cooling apples
Ingredients (Apple Filling) Makes 6 Barrels:
1# Apples (peeled, cored, and diced into small cubes)
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 T butter
- In a medium pot, over medium heat, combine butter, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Allow butter to melt and stir ingredients.
- Add diced apples and mix into the butter.
- Cook until apples are tender, stirring occasionally.
- When tender, remove to casserole pan to cool.
Ingredients (Barrel) Makes 6 Barrels:
¾ loaf sliced bread
(brioche is best, but any thin to medium sliced white bread will work great)
½ cup unsalted butter
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
apple filling (cooled down to room temperature or lower)
- Cut bread into pinkie finger sized barrel staves (rectangles), the length of the cup sides.
- Soften butter (but do not melt completely) and stir in the cinnamon.
- Using a pastry brush, line the bottom of each cup with a bit of the cinnamon butter.
- Using your fingers, line the sides of each cup with a ¼ inch layer of the cinnamon butter.
- Line the sides of the cups with the bread staves. Make sure they are tight against each other, but do not crush the staves.
- Pack each cup with the pie filling and ensure they are packed tight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the bread is golden brown, and pulling away from the sides of the cup. These can be made two days in advance and reheated until the center is hot.
- After baking, and to serve, turn the cup upside down and lift to reveal the barrel of apples.
- If topping with ice cream, allow 2 minutes after being unmolded.
Bishop’s Lodge Executive Chef and Certified Sommelier