5 of the Best and Nearest Day Hikes to Bishop’s Lodge:
- Dale Ball Trails makes the list because it is great for beginners and advanced hikers and offers great views of wilderness as well as views of the city. A unique sign system provides easy navigation and the trails are divided up into Dale Balls Trail Central, a 6 mile trail that is moderately challenging with some short, steep climbs and Dale Balls Trail North, an easier and shorter distance hike that is less than 4 miles long. Dog friendly and good for bikes too, this trail hits all the right notes for being right outside the Bishop’s Lodge doorstep.
- Dorothy Stewart Trail is next on the list for being a perfect and quick little jaunt that is great for visitors and not too rigorous. Hikes are rewarded with spectacular views of Santa Fe throughout the track without getting to deep into steep and narrow trails. This trail has great access to the Dale Ball trails and is an ideal afternoon hike to catch the sunset on the way home.
- Atalaya Mountain includes a 7mile loop and 4.6 mile trail. Degree of difficulty is easy at first to increasingly difficult. One of the most popular and easily accessible hiking trails in Santa Fe. Both trails join and take you toward the top of Atalaya Mountain, a 9,121-foot peak. At the top are views of Rio Grande valley and the city below. Pack good hiking shoes and this hike with reward you with views after a steeper climb than the other trails on this list.
- Hyde Park Circle is 3.91 miles trail that gains over 800 feet, but makes up for it in views. Hyde Park Circle is a favorite for hikers who just want to get up in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains for a relaxing picnic in nature.
- Tesuque Creek Trail: Another great trail that is more moderate and better for shorter hikes. Tesuque Creek Trail is a 3 mile; mostly flat loop right off Bishop’s Lodge Road. The hike is mostly shady and is great for dogs. Over 100 dogs visit this trail a day!
So there you have it fellow Southwest traveler, a condensed list of some of the best and nearest hikes to our resort. Prepare to pack your day packs, hiking shoes and four-legged pals because many of the trails are dog friendly. Come and enjoy the breathtaking views and be sure to share pictures of your hiking adventures on our Facebook Page! After your hike enjoy a special offer from Bishop’s Lodge for a Bed & Breakfast Package!
#summer #hikes #trails #hiking trails #santa fe #southwest